Sunday, April 5, 2020

4/4 and 4/5 Fishing and tying

Good morning all,

Yesterday I had the chance to do some fishing with a friend of mine, Mike.  It's been too long since we hung out and shared our love of coffee, beer, guitars/music and fishing.  We only had the chance to fish because of social distancing, but the other stuff was implied.  We fished the farmington, above the bridge in Riverton, up closer to Hog's back, and finished at People's, where there was a great hatch that had fish rising, but we couldn't match it.  I tried a bead head wooly bugger tied under a deer hair caddis/muddler to no avail, and Mike tried several emergent flies and mayfly patterns to no avail.  It got me motivated to tie something that might have worked, an elk hair caddis/muddler that was weighted with no hackle.  I think the next time we go, I will put this about 18 inches below a deer hair caddis (elk hair but with deer hair because that's what I have), size 18 with some Gink to make it float.  That way I have a #14 emerger that is low, and a #18 that is floating to try to fool the trout. 

Mike had some success above the bridge with a squirmy pink worm fly, and I struck out with my spinning rod, then struck out with my muddler dry fly with a yellow and brown maribou streamer about 18 inches below it.  I wasn't quick enough to get a picture of the rainbow, but I'd guess about 14 inches and not stocked by the coloring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment