Monday, February 15, 2021

School of wet rocks

 Hi all,


I just had a brainstorm, as usually happens post coffee but before breakfast.  I want to give the experience I had of learning to fish the Farmington to some kids who have never fished before, or never fly fished before.  I live next to the west branch of the Farmington, and I know enough about tying and fishing that I can help them catch some fish.  

I have ties to the Grange and the Riverton Fairgrounds, so I may be able to use those spaces for tying and casting practice, and then some of the best fishing in the Farmington is right around that area.  

The typical day at such an establishment: kids are dropped off at around 7, with their own rods and reels and waders at the Grange Hall.  I make sure each kid has at least 10 flies:

a) A few muddlers

b) a few wooly buggers

c) A few marabou unnamed streamers (unnamed but highly effective)

d) Black Ghost

e) Marabou grey ghost

f) Elk Hair Caddis

g) adams


We walk across the street to the Farmington, where we fish the morning hatch until the fishing dies down.

Then, casting academy in the field for a few minutes (no flies on so nobody gets a new earring).

We study the river for a few, and have a contest for who can find the most flies and put them in a jar to imitate.  When we get back to the grange, we all look at the flies, try to identify them and then look up what species they are on the internet, and what flies are usually used to match them.  

Each student gets to tie a few flies they think will work.

We fish the afternoon hatch after a healthy lunch provided by the Riverton Inn or the Grange.

Pickup around 3, unless the hatch is amazing and the kids (and maybe their parents) want to fish some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment